Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Grandma's Roses

My grandmother was an avid gardener.  She could take the most unruly soil and turn it into the most lush, beautiful garden.  Green thumbs must be a recessive gene because I can't keep anything alive.  I've even been known to kill a cactus.  As a result, the Knock Out Rose has become one of my absolute favorite plants.  They are virtually impossible to kill and require little to no care.  When my grandmother was in the hospital dying last summer, I went to her house and saw that stuck to her refrigerator door was an article that she had clipped from the newspaper.  It was a short snippet about the Knock Out Rose.  I have one in my front yard and now every time I see it, I can't help but think of her.  I am not normally a huge fan of roses, but these hold a very special place in my heart.

These roses bloom almost all year.  There were only about two months during the winter when it did not bloom, which gave me the opportunity the cut it back.  It is currently in full bloom.  I couldn't resist photographing it this morning!










These are the Lamb's Ear that I have planted around the roses.....

They are called Lamb's Ear because the leaves are super soft and fuzzy, much like the ear of a lamb.  I thought that the softness of the Lamb's Ear would be an interesting contrast to the thrones on the roses.  They are also amazingly durable plants

No comments:

Post a Comment